Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Cold Calling

Sometimes, despite your networking abilities, you must resort to the cold call. This is actually a good networking experience and is not something to be nervous or fearful of. In fact, it is networking that gives you the opportunity to cold call.

True story:

Found random Soldier in my office with combat patch from desired location. Asked about possible contacts in the area. Was given phone number, no name and proceeded to call.
Random Soldier in desired location answers phone. Asks me for my background etc. After explaining situation, takes my name, number and email address.

Will it work?? Who knows..and quite honestly it doesn't matter. The point is to get your name and what you are looking for out there. Perhaps my resume will pass through this person's desk, ringing a little bell and getting me an interview.

The point is that every single encounter should be looked at as a opportunity to network. Simply because it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment